Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Identity crisis?

I finished my first post on this spiffy new blog thing that I've decided to do and was comfortably ensconced here in my recliner buzzing around the web when I had a thought strike me. Why did I leave EMS and decide to become a cop? I figured that someone may EVENTUALLY find their way to my little corner of the web, read my ramblings and wonder what I was thinking. To be quite honest, there were a number of factors involved in that choice. After 19 years in EMS, I'd gone almost as far as I could go without moving into management. I've been a paramedic for 13 years now and I was TIRED. I've worked in busy urban areas where you run your tail off for the entire shift and I've worked in small, quiet rural areas where you can easily go 24 hours without a call. I spent 2 years working as a flight paramedic on a helicopter in a large metropolitan area and I even started doing a little teaching as an adjunct instructor for the EMT program at my local community college. Short of getting promoted to a supervisory position, things weren't likely to get any better for me in EMS.

I have several friends who were EMTs that I worked with that made the jump into law enforcement and they all loved it. What it boils down to is I think I needed a change of pace and something to get me back interested in my career again. I enjoyed EMS and I still do enjoy it, but I also enjoy law enforcement. Granted, I'm still a rookie cop but it's nice to get in the car, do my shift and then go home. There's no getting woken up after I've been asleep for 10 minutes to go run a call. When I'm asleep, I'm asleep and I'm lucky enough to have a wonderful wife who understands how important it is to get enough sleep when you're working nights like I am now. I've only been on nights for almost 3 months now and I enjoy it. Less traffic, better calls, less of the brass around, etc. The only problem is that my sleep schedule is now tuned to nights so I sleep a good part of the day and I'm up all night. Oh well, can't have everything I guess! I'm going to mosey back to browsing the webs and I'll be back later.

No comments:

Post a Comment